Update (10/10/2016): as of Android Studio 2.2.1, there is no a much easier way to do this. Please see our official documentation to see how you can include extra logs to help us investigate Instant Run issues.
If you are on a version older than 2.2.1, then you will still need to follow the instructions below.
1. Enable Logging after you run into an issue:
You need to enable some additional logging and then reproduce the issue
Go into Settings > Build, Execution, Deployment > Compiler, and add "--info --stacktrace" to the Command-line Options. Hit OK.
2. Repoduce the Issue with additional logging enabled
Now go back and reproduce the same steps that created the issue.
3. Collect information after Reproducing the the Bug
There are a few things you need to collect right after you hit the bug:
- IDEA.log. You can find this file by going to Help > Show Log in Files/Finder/Explorer
- Gradle console window output. Copy and paste contents of the Gradle Console window into a file called gradle-output.txt
- build-info.xml file. this file can be found at app/build/intermediates/restart-dex/debug/build-info.xml
- Logcat content. Copy and paste the contents of Android Montior tool window, Logcat tab into a file called logcat.txt
4. Submit the Issue to Google
- Use this template to file the bug or update your existing bug with this information:
INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
Gradle plugin version: (Check the build.gradle file for your project for plugin version)
Build number: (On Windows/Linux: check 'Help' → 'About' or on Mac:'Android Studio' → 'About Android Studio')
Android Studio Log: (From Android Studio, do Help | Show Log in Files)
If the application crashes while attempting an instant run, please include
an "adb bugreport" if available. Otherwise, if possible, attach a project
that reproduces the issue.
To get an ADB bug report: With your device attached, from the command-line
(where ADB is accessible) run: adb bugreport > bugreport.txt
This will generate a text file with the above name in the same directory,
which you can then attached to the issue. Be patient, it may take 10
seconds or more to generate.
- Fill in the requested info in the template and attach all 4 files.
- (optional) If possible to link to or include a sample project that has clear repo steps
- Submit the Issue
(Optional) 5. Remove additional logging
Some users may experience a negative performance impact in your day to day use of Android Studio, if you leave logging enabled.
To disable logging, go into Settings > Build, Execution, Deployment > Compiler, and remove "--info --stacktrace" to the Command-line Options. Hit OK.