We've just released Android Studio 2.2 Preview 6 the Canary channel.
This build contains bug fixes primarily around Performance and Instant run with a number of other general improvements.
- Performance: We addressed a number of crashes that were introduced in Preview 5 and prior previews.
- Other: Several other fixes across the product - in instant run, deployment, lint, C++/CMake/NDK support, etc.
Thanks to everyone for their bug and crash reports, and keep them coming!
We've just released Android Studio 2.2 Preview 5 the Canary channel.
This build contains a large number of bug fixes.
- Performance: We fixed two big memory leaks -- one related to Gradle sync and the other related to layout rendering; both should help significantly with memory usage. We also improved the locking behavior of layout XML preview so it shouldn't cause the editor to lag when typing during background layout preview rendering.
- Instant Run: A number of important bug fixes which should help with performance and correctness:
- Fixed a bug where assets were not properly packaged
- Disable the small optimization where edits in the main app module skip certain tasks: this was not safe and could lead to some edits missing when running the app
- Fix a bug which meant assets would not be incrementally packaged in alpha4
- No longer crunch PNGs in library dependencies
- Fix bug where updating launcher icons would not trigger an app reinstall
- Layout Editor:
- Auto connect mode is now off by default.
- New constraint layout library version alpha4.
- There's a lint warning (and quickfix to update) if you're using alpha3 or older.
- The focus of the update is on layout performance.
- There's also documentation on the various attributes, and code completion should work better with this version in the IDE
- Note: There is an incompatible change in the Guideline class and attributes: layout_constraintGuide_begin, layout_constraintGuide_end and layout_constraintGuide_Percent
- The resize screen feature has been tweaked visually and should be much faster.
- The screenshot action has been added back to the Context menu, and there is a preference panel in options where you can set the "prefer XML editor for layout files" option as in previous releases.
- Lint icons no longer show up on the design surface by default, but you can turn them back on via options (including from the lint notifications panel.)
- PhotoShop file support: Layers in 16 bit and 32 bit images are now decoded
- Fixed many bugs, including the <include> bug starred by a bunch of users where on Windows, include tags would stop working
- Other: A lot of fixes across the product - in deployment, editor, data binding, C++/CMake/NDK support, lint, Espresso test runner, Firebase, etc.
- Updated platform metadata for Android Nougat (e.g. code completion for context.getSystemService() should return all the valid constants as of N, etc.)
- Fixes for the most common exceptions reported via the crash reporter
Thanks to everyone for their bug and crash reports, and keep them coming!
Android Studio 2.2 Preview 4 should release June 23rd at 11:30a PDT to the canary channel.
Preview 4 resolves the largest amount of bugs in the 2.2 release to date and includes some minor new features. Please test it out and give us feedback.
Because we recommend you run our 2.2 canary builds along side the sable 2.1 builds. We introduced new icon colors now when you run a Canary, Dev, or Beta build you should see a yellow Android Studio Icon. The Stable channel will continue to display the default Green icon.
- Many bug fixes, we are working hard to address all reproducible issues. Please continue to file them.
Updated JDK for Mac
Importing VectorDrawable from Photoshop files
- Various bug fixes
- Pan & zoom panel is now a floating window accessible from the toolbar
- Strokes are now supported
- Clipping masks are now supported
- Shape operations are now supported (merge, subtract, intersect and exclude overlapping)
- Fill opacity is now supported
- XML output optimized for size
Photoshop files support
- Improved support for CMYK and Lab images
- Improved color management on OS X
- Bug Fixes
- Improved Directions.
Updated June 23rd:
- Added details on the yellow icon.
- Due to a bug in the patches we can only offer full downloads. If you patched and can't get studio to launch, please download a full update. You can follow the progress of this bug here.
This build contains New features and a number of fixes for various critical bugs found in preview 2:
Espresso Test Recorder
- ConstraintLayout editor:
- New toolbar UI
- Pan & zoom widget in the inspector
- Better auto-inference
- Databinding support in the layout editor
- Fixed padding bug
- Various bug fixes (design mode positioning, etc.)
- Images support:
- Photoshop viewer integrated in Android Studio
- Convert Photoshop files to Vector Drawable
Many other bug fixes
Android Studio 2.1.2 includes a number of small changes and bug fixes:
- Instant Run updates and bug fixes
- Improved performance in LLDB and a notification in studio when there are LLDB crashes.
- Git rebase command now works with Android Studio’s latest security update.
- And a few additional general fixes
- 6/6 Added stable to the release channel.
We've just released Android Studio 2.2 Preview 2 to the canary channel.
This build contains a number of fixes for various critical bugs found in preview 1:
- ConstraintLayout: version 1.0.0-alpha2
- Fixed guidelines crash on device
- Fixed typo in attribute name (leftToLeft)
- Changed orientation attribute namespace from app to android to fix a conflict with GridLayout
- ConstraintLayout now works properly inside ScrollView
- ConstraintLayout now works properly inside RecyclerView
- Percentage positioning of guidelines is now parsed as an integer instead of a dimension
- Better behavior for match_parent on the device. The behavior is now the same as 0dp (the widget stretches according to its constraints)
- Layout Editor
- Fixed bug which sometimes turned fonts blue in other editors (.xml, .java)
- Fewer generated XML attributes
- Better behavior for match_parent in the editor
- Fixed widgets resizing during drag
- Improved guidelines representation in the editor
- Improved auto conversion to ConstraintLayout
- Improved edition of nested layouts
- Various bug fixes and improvements in the editor
- Fixed bug preventing the IDE from starting on some Linux distributions (in particular where /bin/sh is not bash)
- Export Signed APK wizard was exporting to the wrong folder (issue 210520)
- Fixed bug in welcome screen which meant some users couldn't create new projects
- Fixed embedded JDK handling
- Fixed a bug bugs in the native/hybrid debugger
- Disabled a couple of Groovy inspections that reported incorrect errors in build.gradle files
- Fixed an instant run bug which for some users resulted in every run turning into a full build
- Fixed a couple of crashes in lint (in the new Gradle plugin, 2.2 alpha 2)
- A bunch of improvements to the accessibility support
Unfortunately the Espresso Test Recorder is still not in this build; we're addressing a few more issues and then hope to have it ready in the next build!
Also, due to a bug, we're not able to offer patches from Preview 1 to Preview 2, so you'll need to download a complete install (and the complete install is a bit bigger in 2.2 than in the past since we now bundle a copy of OpenJDK to address a number of font rendering and other stability issues). However, the bug should be fixed in this build such that patching from Preview 2 to the next build will work.
To download Android Studio 2.2 Preview 2, visit its download page
As always, thank you for helping us test Android Studio preview builds!
Today at Google I/O, we previewed Android Studio 2.2
, a major update that includes a rewritten layout designer, new constraint layouts, a Firebase plugin, and much much more. A few highlights we want to call out are:
A new layout designer and constraints layout
Now, you use the layout window like a sheet of paper where you position widgets, and we automatically add all the constraints so that your UIs resize automatically on any Android screen.
Explore and integrate the suite of services offered by Firebase
inside of Android Studio. Adding services like Analytics, Authentication, Notifications, and AdMob are just a few clicks away.
IntelliJ & CLion 2016.1
Android Studio 2.2 includes all the latest updates from the underlying JetBrains product platforms IntelliJ
We also expanded support for N’s new Jack compiler which brings you Java8 language features like lambdas and default methods.
We’ll be diving into more detail on all of the new updates at 10AM PT tomorrow in “What’s new in Android Development Tools”, livestreamed from Google I/O. We will link to more information on these exciting updates to Android studio
Updated May 19th to include a link
with more information on the Android Studio update and to the recorded session.
Enable multitouch in new system images for API 19/21
API19+ improve pull performance by 6x
The emulator console now requires the first command to be "auth <auth_token>". <auth_token> must match the contents of ~/.emulator_console_auth_token. If that file does not exist, one is created with a random auth token. Authentication requirement can be disabled by creating an empty ~/.emulator_console_auth_token file
[crash] Fix bad format string in partition_config
Fix wrong parameter in partition config (b.android.com/208868)
[ui] Correct GPS string that is sent to device
Fixed a bug that could corrupt OpenGL data flowing from the guest to the host
Fixed rotation bug for certain locales (b.android.com/204858)
[GPS] Fix altitude formatting
We've released Android Studio 2.1 and Emulator 25.1.3 to the dev, beta, and stable release channels.
This release is focused on bringing N Developer Preview support to our stable channel, Instant Run and General Build Performance Improvements, and bug fixes. Please see our blog post for more details on this release.
Android Studio Installation
You can update your current 1.5 or 2.0 installation to 2.1 Stable by using the built-in patch mechanism or downloading the full Zip files off our downloads page.
If you run into problems, be sure to check the Known Issues page which we'll update as necessary. If you can’t find something on the Known Issues page or Instant Run documentation please open an issue. (via Help > Submit Feedback in Android Studio and For the Emulator use the tools menu select the “three circles” > Help > File a Bug.)
Snapshot fixes (b.android.com/206205, b.android.com/207279)
Fix the crash on exit in IniFileAutoFlusher (b.android.com/203248)
Fix potential segfault in RenderControl (b.android.com/205803)
Fix software rendering issue introduced in 25.1.2 (b.android.com/205937)
Linux - Fix toolbar on KDE
Avoid infinite loop when parsing GPU driver info on Windows (b.android.com/202388)
Crash fix (b.android.com/205834)
OSX - moving window between retina/non-retina causes zoom problem (b.android.com/205914)
Fix emulator rendering problem when sleeping and waking (b.android.com/204657)
OSX - Close the extended window when closing the emulator
Add proper validation for altitude values (b.android.com/205580)
Add an error message for API < 14 screenshots (b.android.com/205099)
Limit time taken to query GPU info (b.android.com/202285, b.android.com/204400)
Linux - Fix minimize on some systems
Fix typing '2' instead of '@' on 'shift' up first (b.android.com/205454)
Fixed - Pressing volume up/down quickly hangs the emulator
Error dialog on attempting screen capture with invalid adb path (b.android.com/205251)
Manually ignore maximize events (b.android.com/205262)
OSX - Fix a subwindow misalignment
Windows/Linux - Swap minimize and close buttons