posted Jun 27, 2013, 11:26 AM by Tor Norbye
updated Jun 27, 2013, 11:34 AM
We've just released Android Studio 0.1.8.
This release addresses several bugs in 0.1.7 around gradle builds. In addition, there are the following changes:
- Support for running instrumentation tests on device. Tests should be created in the folder "src/instrumentTest/java" (of the main application or a library) following the conventions described at http://tools.android.com/tech-docs/new-build-system/user-guide#TOC-Testing
- To run them, simply right click on the test and click on Run as type Android Junit test.
- You can also create a new run configuration of type "Android Test" and specify whether you want to run all the tests in a module, package, class or just a single test.
- NOTE: Debugging tests will be supported in the next release
- 0.1.8 also comes with a brand new implementation of a resource manager in the IDE, used for layout preview, editor resource folding, etc. This should address many bugs reported in earlier versions (such as @id attributes not being handled properly in RelativeLayouts, bugs with opening layouts after making edits, etc, and should be more performant.
- New lint check validating device admin receivers
If you are already running Android Studio, just restart it, or manually check for updates via Help > Check for Update... (on OSX, look in the Android Studio menu). This will download and install a small patch rather than download a full IDE image. We are not posting full installers for each weekly update. If you do not already have Android Studio, install the latest full install from
When you run that version, it will check for updates and upgrade itself via the patch mechanism.