posted Oct 18, 2013, 2:02 PM by Tor Norbye
updated Oct 18, 2013, 10:24 PM
We've just released Android Studio 0.3.0. This release contains the following improvements:
- Updated the IDE base to the IntelliJ EAP build #132.637 sources (which also includes their #132.556 build relative to what we had in Studio 0.2.13.)
The release notes for this version of the IDE which lists the new features and bugs fixed are here:
- Gradle Builds
- Much faster gradle project import: Importing one of our apps went down from two and a half minutes to fourteen seconds. This speedup also applies to syncing your existing project with Gradle, reopening existing projects, etc. Furthermore, we now only run the build target to generate sources, not a full compilation.
- The improved performance is made possible by changes in Gradle 1.8 and Android Gradle plugin version 0.6.+, which are now the minimum supported versions.
If you open an already imported project that uses the Gradle wrapper pointing to an old version of Gradle you will be able to automatically fix the wrapper properties and re-import the project:
The Gradle 0.6.3 plugin is now also available (or soon available; it is staging on maven central, so should be available in the next few hours), which improves resource merging handling (better error handling, more accurate error locations, source element references no longer merged into the R class documentation, etc).
NOTE: Earlier today we published plugin 0.6.2 with incorrect dependencies. Make sure you're using 0.6.3 (or 0.6.1). To be sure, you can explicitly specify "0.6.3" instead of "0.6.+" in your build.gradle files, or run gradlew on the command line with --refresh-dependencies to ensure that Gradle looks up the most recent available version.
- Gradle Dependency Editing
- Template Support
- Revised new blank activity template with support for action bars on older versions of Android (via the appcompat library), and new navigation styles such as using the navigation drawer:
- Layout Rendering
- Support for xliff strings. It will now insert id (or if available example) attributes into the layout editor preview strings.
- As usual, many bug fixes.
- From b.android.com: 60801, 60823, 59444, 60848, 57904, 60266, 60893, 60879, 60820, 61050, 61113, 60894
- Other bugs and crashes not tracked in the issue tracker
If you are already running Android Studio, just restart it, or manually check for updates via Help > Check for Update... (on OSX, look in the Android Studio menu). This will download and install a small patch rather than download a full IDE image.
If you need to download a full install, visit the Android Studio Canary Build page. Note that if you are currently running 0.2.10 or 0.2.11, on Mac OSX, you will not be able to patch update to 0.3.0; you will need to install a fresh build due to a bug in the patch updater in those versions.
If you run into problems, be sure to check the Known Issues page which we'll update as necessary.