posted Jan 23, 2014, 12:49 PM by Tor Norbye
We've just released Android Studio 0.4.3, with the following improvements:
- Support for the new version of the Android Gradle plugin 0.8. It does not require updating; you can continue to use version 0.7 of the gradle plugin with this version of Studio.
- Updated to the latest IntelliJ 13 EAP build, #133.609 (release notes)
- Gradle IDE support
- Updating from one version of the Gradle plugin to the next is easier; rather than just opening a search window showing .gradle files referencing the plugin, the upgrade quickfix now performs the edits to the plugin dependency and the gradle wrapper properties file directly and in one shot
- We now automatically sync with Gradle's model after a build if we detect that the model is stale
- Fixed a bug around library syncing (where library dependency classes and resources could suddenly not be found by the IDE)
- New lint check which looks for cycles in style definitions, cycles in layout <include> definitions, cycles in resource aliases and cycles in color and drawable definitions.
- New lint check for duplicate item definitions inside styles
- New lint check for padding symmetry in right-to-left contexts
- New lint check for a resource definition pattern which can cause some versions of aapt to crash
- Layout editing
- The layout editor property sheet now handles setting properties in custom namespaces
- Improved threading behavior of layout rendering code (which should make editing in the XML editor with the layout render preview window more responsive)
- In addition to creating new locales from the Locale menu you can now open up and edit existing translations
- Fixed bug where the layout editor could show stale resource strings
- Eclipse Import
- You can now import Eclipse-style projects even if they don't have .classpath and .project files as long as they use the same directory structure
- More graceful handling of imports if there is a problem such as a missing dependency
- Many other bug fixes
Version 0.8 of the Android Gradle plugin provides the following improvements:
- Supports Gradle 1.10, requires Build-Tools 19.0.0+
- Fixed issue 64302: Add renderscript support mode jar to the dependencies in the IDE model.
- Fixed issue 64094: buildConfigField can now replace previous values inside the same type/flavors.
- Add support for NDK prebuilts in library projects.
- Parallelize pre-dexing to speed up clean builds.
- Incremental dexing re-enabled (though it'll be automatically disabled in some builds for some cases that dx doesn't support yet.)
- Added 'provided' dependency scope for compile only (not packaged) dependencies. Additional scope per buildtype and flavors are also available (debugProvided, myFlavorProvided,etc...)
- Variant API improvements:
- getPreBuild() returns the prebuild task for the variant
- getSourceSets() returns the sorted sourcesets for the task, from lower to higher priority
- createZipAlignTask(String taskName, File inputFile, File outputFile).
This creates and return a new zipalign task. Useful if you have a custom plugin providing custom signing of APKs. This also makes the assemble task depend on the new zipalign task, and wires variant.getOutputFile() to return the result of the zipalign task.
- project.android.registerJavaArtifact() now receives a Configuration object to pass the dependencies to the IDE. See artifactApi sample.
- New "lintVital" task, run automatically as part of assembling release variants, which checks only fatal-severity issues
- Replace Java parser in lint with ECJ; must faster and fixes bug where lint could hang on certain source constructs
- Lint HTML report now writes links to source files and images as URLs relative to the report location
If you are already running Android Studio, just restart it, or manually check for updates via Help > Check for Update... (on OSX, look in the Android Studio menu). This will download and install a small patch rather than download a full IDE image.
If you run into problems, be sure to check the Known Issues page which we'll update as necessary.